If there is one of our dogs that you have fallen in love with and you want to make it part of your family, what will happen now?
- APROP will ask you complete a form so that we can find out about the new living situation for the dog. You can access this form by clicking the “Adopt” button at the bottom of each dog’s listing.
- APROP will then do a home-check to see if where you live is suitable for our dog.
- If all is well then a pre-adoption contract is then signed. This is a trial period of usually 2 weeks for you and the dog, to see if you are suited for each other.
- After a successful trial period the final adoption contract is signed, you have found yourself a new family member.
- Adoption fees are:
- €150 for a puppy;
- €200 for an adult male dog;
- €220 for an adult female dog;
- The adoption fee covers the microchip, passport, vaccinations and neutering (neutering in case of adult dogs). Of this, €50 is payable on pre-adoption, the balance of the fee to be paid on signing the adoption contract and taking permanent care of an APROP dog.
Pre-requisites for adoption are:
- You have to be of legal age and you will have to identify yourself with a piece of identity (DNI, NIE, NIF, Passport).
- If the dog you adopt is not yet neutered (in case of adopting a puppy), you are obliged to have this done as soon as medically possible.
- Signing the adoption contract means:
You look after the dog in the most optimal way and to provide it with quality food, exercise, education, time, shelter, space, etc. Give your dog all the veterinary care it needs.
You do not use it for reproduction or breeding
You inform APROP about all changes related to the dog (change of contact details, if the dog is lost or had died, etc.)
You take the dog back to the shelter if you can´t take care of it anymore and not to abandon it.
You accept that an APROP representative will follow up to see how the dog is settling into his new house.
About adoption fees:
APROP is a volunteer run dog shelter; we depend on the Pego council yearly contribution and private donations to be able to give the best possible care to our dogs. The adoption fee is a contribution towards all the veterinary costs for the dog whilst in our care, this includes all the required vaccinations, treatment for common parasites (internal and external), the microchip and the dog passport and all other veterinary costs.
APROP reserves the right to refuse to give a dog in adoption when the adopter fails to meet the requirements. Furthermore, APROP reserves the right to reclaim a dog when the adopter fails to meet the requirements.